1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
Get Daily Headlines in Your Inbox
blog advertising is good for you
- Another AVI Study Says Center City Philly Land is Underassessed
- You Knew It Was Coming: Corbett Trots Out the Out-of-Context Defense on Latino Comments
- Tom Corbett Can’t Find Any Latino Staffers in PA, But He Hired a White Dude From Rhode Island
- Why We Shouldn’t Politicize R&D
- Progressive Adam Waldron Now Leading Lump Sanders for 4th Bethlehem Council Seat
- Jon Geeting on You Knew It Was Coming: Corbett Trots Out the Out-of-Context Defense on Latino Comments
- Jon Geeting on Tom Corbett Can’t Find Any Latino Staffers in PA, But He Hired a White Dude From Rhode Island
- Jon Geeting on Was It Appropriate for Lisa Boscola to Endorse Bob Donchez From Her State Senator Twitter Account?
- Sean Kitchen on You Knew It Was Coming: Corbett Trots Out the Out-of-Context Defense on Latino Comments
- Gillian on Tom Corbett Can’t Find Any Latino Staffers in PA, But He Hired a White Dude From Rhode Island
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- Action Alert
- Land Use
- National Politics
- Police Blotter
- Regional News
- Site News
- State Government