Glad to see Brian Sims making some power moves. I’m also hoping to see Brian back Sean Sullivan’s primary challenge to Mike O’Brien too. We have a lot of good representatives in our safe Philly seats, but we could have great representatives like Brian, and in my opinion Democratic primaries here should be a lot more competitive:

On Thursday, February 6th 2014, State Representative Brian Sims endorsed Jared Solomon for State Representative in Pennsylvania’s 202nd District.

“The issues of our time are too important to let broken politics paralyze our state government,” said Rep. Sims. “Representing the people of Pennsylvania in the legislature is an incredibly serious job which requires effective leaders like Jared Solomon who have a record of bringing people together.”

Sims, elected to the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in 2012 as the Commonwealth’s first openly LGBT legislator in its history, noted the importance of electing strong leaders who will help Philadelphia regain its political prestige.“Philadelphia has lost its voice in the capitol, and if we are going to get it back, we must elect energetic leaders like Jared Solomon to the State House,” said Sims. “I need a colleague like Jared Solomon in Harrisburg, who my colleagues and I can rely on to work hard to move our Commonwealth forward.”

Solomon, who has built an aggressive campaign on the theme of taking action, spoke about the importance of Representative Sims’ support. “It’s an honor to have the support of one of the trailblazers in the next generation of leadership in Philadelphia and Harrisburg,” said Solomon. “Representative Sims has demonstrated that the status quo can be overcome by hard work and integrity—two things I vow to bring to this campaign.  From Castor Avenue to the Capitol Building, I intend to work with Brian to get Pennsylvania on track.”

Representative Sims’ endorsement of Jared Solomon follows the endorsement of Admiral Joe Sestak, the highest ranking military official ever elected to Congress. Since announcing his candidacy before a packed house on December 8th, Solomon has held a series of “community dinners,” engaging hundreds of 202nd District voters.  Solomon also announced his campaign raised over $65,000 in its first finance report—an unprecedented amount for Democratic challengers in the 202nd District.

“This is not just a standard endorsement,” said Sam Shoap, campaign manager for Friends of Jared Solomon. “This is the building of a movement of the next generation of courageous leaders.”

This entry was posted in State House.

72 Responses to #HD202: Brian Sims Endorses Jared Solomon’s Primary Challenge to Rep. Mark Cohen

1. Ed H. says:

Apparently Brian Simms is setting himself up for failure. Other State Reps won’t work with him from either side of the aisle. And what’s the point in going against two very capable State Reps, who have solid progressive credentials, and who have been willing to help him? It smacks of backstabbing on Simms’ part.

This is exactly what needs to happen in Philadelphia Democratic politics. Young progressives need to take over the city committee from Bob Brady and the old-school union dudes and start changing out the old heads.

• The question is what people mean by “young progressives.” Is the agenda to abolish judicial elections? If it is, say it. Is the agenda to enact further limitations on the right to sue? If it is say it. Is the agenda to oppose increases in the minimum wage? If it is, say it. Political labeling is often very elastic to the point of being meaningless.

• Ed H. says:

What is it you want, Jon? Political infighting that cedes more power to suburban and rural areas, so they can suck more money away from the urban areas that they rely on for the state’s economy and tax revenues?

Brian Simms will be viewed as a joke, who is helping to set back the Democratic Party, and even the political power of the LGBT community from their own goals. State Reps will view him as the Benedict Arnold of his party. One thing about traitors, is that even the side they commit the backstabbing for will view him as untrustworthy and unreliable.
        Jared Solomon doesn’t bring anything to the table that Mark Cohen hasn’t already fought for as a champion for good jobs, equality, education and all of the things that make a state successful. Republicans love guys like you, Jon. You’ll side with them on economic ideas and create infighting amongst Democrats, while the bad guys in the GOP are robbing us all. Look at how your cheerleading for beating down working people, by crushing unions, plays right into right wing dreams.

What I want is a more competitive and ideological politics in this city. Brian Sims represents the best of the new class of progressive politicians and I hope we can elect more young leaders in his mold. Obviously I disagree with your characterization of my views on economics.

• Ed H. says:

Brian Sims is showing himself to be a stooge. When Cohen and O’Brien come back to serve next term, and Sims tries to push a bills forward, he’s going to be shunned by many in the State House. He’s brought his Single A game to the Bigs, and he’s going to look like a loser. Maybe we should ask for Babette Josephs to come out to run again, so this neophyte stooge doesn’t give up any more power to the GOP, when the Party has to hold together in unity to hold off the worst of the ALEC legislation you cheer for.

Name an ALEC bill I supported. I backed the general concept of an education property tax for state tax flip because it would lead to the unraveling of PA school segregation, but I opposed the specific bill on offer this time. There is not one other ALEC bill I supported.

Also fuck you dude. If you can’t support Brian Sims, you don’t belong in today’s Democratic Party.

• Ed H. says:

You can disagree with my characterization of your condo mica all you want. But you push a lot of the same ideas as the Commonwealth Foundation, and their ALEC-like agenda.

I agree with the Commonwealth Foundation, and every single Democratic politician in every other state besides PA and Utah, that a private market economy is the most sensible way to distribute alcohol.

LOL!

Jon’s losing it because I am a part of the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party, while. Jon pushes for right wing, libertarian economics. What’s next? The gold standard and Ron Paul endorsements from you, Jon?

2. tim brown says:

Mark Cohen has been one of the most expensive representatives to keep. His very very left wing politics is a reason that there is not a lot of growth in jobs. It is funny how Texas has a shortage of people including the large illegal population and Philadelphia has a shortage of jobs. I do not have a horse in the race but wish the challenger well. It will be interesting to see how Mark reacts to a race.

• Everybody has a right to run for office. I like contested primaries: I have won them for state representative, member of Democratic State Committee, delegate to the Democratic National Convention, and Democratic committeeman. My opponent has every right to move from Center City, where he was living when Brian Sims narrowly defeated Babette Josephs in April, 2012, back to my district, where he has personal and family roots. The voters have every right to listen to what Mr. Sims has to say, and to make a reasoned decision as to whether Mr. Solomon or I will best represent our district in the future.

Left wing politics? Give me a break. My position on even “controversial” issues such as insuring full rights for LGBT people, raising the minimum wage, legalizing marijuana for medical purposes, protecting pregnant workers in the workplace, providing a right to sue for bullying in the workplace, providing more money for public education, roads and public transit is supported by the overwhelming majority of Pennsylvanians.

We need more jobs that pay adequate or above average wages, not more jobs that pay low Texas-style wages. We need to support and grow American jobs. I am pleased that my proposal to require state purchases of American-made products when they are of similar price, value, and usefulness of foreign products passed the House overwhelming on the first two votes and unanimously on the final vote late last year. My achievements 40 years are substantial, but there is still more work to be done because of the great challenges all of us face from circumstances beyond our control.

Maybe you should write a 15,000 word Wikipedia entry about it

• tim brown says:

You obviously have not been to Texas or you would not make the low wage comment. the economy is booming and they are recruiting college grads from Penn State. The economy is a high tech, high resource wage state where the legislature meets on a very limited basis at about a quarter of what you are paid. It has amazed me when .you mentioned 40 years of your experience. We used to be about the same size as Texas and now are approximately half the size. Even their high school dropouts get good paying jobs and those jobs are not pushing drugs into the rest of the state. Mark your credentials mark you as the most expensive to keep in the House do you deny that. Or was Brad Bumsted wrong in his book where you were slammed pretty hard as high maintenance low production. Are you not the poster child for expense reform in the legislature? Henry Waxman, and George Miller of California had the good sense to retire when they realized the train has left without them. Maybe you ought to give them a call. Or is it you don’t want to pay your own way if you leave politics?? .

• Ed H. says:

Tom Corbett helped to kill jobs by cutting taxes for large donors to his campaigns, and not enacting a severance tax on gas drillers. Then, cutting education and infrastructure spending, which had the further effect of harming private sector job growth. If you, or someone you know, is unemployed in Pennsylvania, thank a Republican.

3. phillydem says:

Kumbya, the old “bring people together” schtick. Sims and Soloman do realize the folks they’re trying to get together with include the likes of Darryl Metcalfe, Mike Turzai and Sam Smith, right? They will, however, be more than happy to get together with Rep Sims and his gang on GOP-approved legislation.

• Ed H. says:

You’re right. The GOP will use him, but when he wants something back, he’ll come up bupkis. Jon is a naive boy with a potty mouth, and he’s not been around enough to know that as a legislator, you can’t make yourself a pariah in your own caucus, because you’ll never get stuff done. And he makes some statement like he’s one of the people Krugman calls a “Very Serious Person” to say he wants more competition nonfat ideas. Screw that. I want to see legislators doing what works to put people to work, get educated, have safe and efficient transportation, good business opportunities and safe air, drinking water and food in the state. I’m all for the competition, and all for Democratic State Reps being primaried if they aren’t pushing for issues that would benefit the Commonwealth. But I don’t seek out competition against great guys like Cohen and O’Brien when they have exemplary records of advocating for their constituents and the state as a whole.
      Jared Solomon and Sean Sullivan may be good guys and have every right to challenge for the State House seats. But if they are the future of the party, look forward to Democrats being unfocused and losing to the GOP because they’ll pick us off during our infighting.

There is zero chance of any of these seats we’re talking about flipping to the Republicans. These are safe safe Democratic seats where the only competition is the primary. I don’t care about your bullshit seniority arguments, I want some more young progressives in the state House and Senate who are even more progressive than Cohen and O’Brien. With a safe seat there’s no good reason not to trade out the old heads for somebody younger and better.

• Ed H. says:

Try reading more and pontificating less, Jon. No one said a damn thing about flipping seats. The point, if you bother to pay the slightest attention, is that Sims is very stupid in how he’s playing with endorsements, as he doesn’t understand how politics in legislation works. He’s sowing discontent by being stupid and public about endorsing guys who are trying to knock off good, solid Democrats (which, apparently you don’t know what a good Democrat is), and the GOP jag offs will eat Sims’ lunch and the rest of the Democrats’ by winning when legislation doesn’t move forward from the. Democrats. I guess its good that anyone can blog, no matter how naive and clueless you are on politics, economics and life, Jon.
          Change for the sake of change is not always good policy. When you have something that works well, don’t fix it, especially with inferior knock offs.
          Babette Joseph’s became a respected member of the General Assembly, and garnered respect as a progressive from both Democrats and Republicans. She worked with her party to do good. How well will some dope like Sims move an agenda forward by being open about stabbing the guys in his own party in the back? No one trusted Benedict Arnold after he did his deed. And Sims will find out that when his own caucus rejects him that he has to go back to his constituents and explain why he can’t get anything done.

If you aren’t getting anything from this blog, the Internet is a big place. In this corner of the Internet, I’m going to cheer on my favorite politicians for making power moves, and taking over the city party from old heads who have ceased to be effective political leaders, and from special interests who don’t represent the broad public good.

4. phillydem says:

Yeah, I don’t get the hate directed at reps like Cohen and Babette Josephs. Both are what liberals/progressives/lefties say they want Democrats to be and neither were ever afraid to speak the uncomfortable truth or call out regressive/reactionary ideas as such. Maybe their biggest crime is being old warriors, not young, naive pups.

I sometimes shake my head at some of the stuff Jon writes, but he’s young. I was there too and knew I had all the right answers. The biggest thing I’ve noticed is what I’ll term “I wanna”-ness. Instead of focusing on the cost or benefit to everyone, the ideas are more driven by getting a personal convenience. Take the liquor store obsession. Obviously the state stores generate net revenue for the commonwealth, pay a decent wage and provide pretty good benefits to their employees. Throwing all that away for some marginal convenience or selection just doesn’t make sense, but for an instant-gratification generation, it apparently does. There’s a lot of words put out to justify it, but when you get down to brass tacks, it’s really just plain selfishness.

I don’t hate either of them, but I think Babette became ineffective toward the end of her career and Sims does a better job. He has the star power, but is also a real workhorse in the legislature. This is what we need out of our safe seat reps. I respect Mark Cohen’s work on behalf of progressive politics, but he’s not a figure that commands respect anymore. He looks like an unmade bed all the time, and writes 15,000-word Wikipedia entries about himself. He’s done a lot of good for the causes we care about, but it is time for him to retire from politics, and for us to get some new blood in this seat.

I’ve got a long list of good reasons to dismantle the cartel and my personal convenience is pretty far down the page. My biggest problem with the alcohol regulation system is the county quota system, not the state stores, because capping licenses reduces competition and creates barriers to entry in the restaurant and bar market, with liquor licenses costing upwards of $80,000 just to have a beer menu. The other reason is that I want the PLCB to be an effective alcohol regulator, which it currently isn’t. If we had something to show for all the protectionism in terms of better public safety, I might have a different view, but we don’t. And don’t send me that hack study from KRC about vehicle miles traveled, unless you think people are drinking at the liquor store.

• Ed H. says:

We do have something to show for the PLCB. It’s called middle class sustaining jobs, better protections for kids against underage drinking, higher revenues for the state, and much more. Maybe more tavern/restaurant licenses could be issued. I’d like to see some of those costs fall and see some more opportunity there. But overall, the system needs to be fixed, not thrown out like the baby and the bath water.

Anyway, best of luck to Mark Cohen, Mike O’Brien and those reps who do a great job, in their reflection campaigns. And hopefully Democrats can start looking for someone to run against Sims and get someone in that seat who won’t hurt the D party in Philly and Pennsylvania.

All you have is the jobs argument. There’s not even a little bit of evidence that this system deters kids from getting alcohol.

Brian Sims is one of the only people helping build the Democratic Party in Philly. Larry Farnese and Vince Hughes are pretty good, and there are a few others I like, but for the most part the whole delegation is replaceable.

• phillydem says:

In case you haven’t noticed, practically the entire city of Philadelphia, save the far NE and river wards is Democratic. The party does a very good job in federal elections of turning out the vote and running up large majorities in the city that has made PA a “blue state” in national elections.

Right, that means this is safe ground to do intra-party electoral competition.

• Ed H. says:

I gotta say, this idea that you guys think you have to destroy the Democratic Party in order to save it is incredibly childish. We’d be better off without Sims doing damage.
            And while the Internet is a big place, perhaps if you don’t want people pointing out your ignorance of politics and legislation, don’t put out content that shows it. I respect you on some land use issues. I respect some of the other bloggers who contribute to the blog occasionally. But when I see someone posting their fairy tales as fact and it ends up in my inbox, I’ll post it publicly what I disagree with and why.

• kelvin hannson says:

One issue state rep.

5. Jon Geeting says:

I’m not sure why you are conflating replacing individual reps with destroying “the Democratic Party.” Intra-party leadership and factional struggles are not “childish,” but are a normal and healthy party of politics that strengthen the party. In some safe seats you could have better, or more effective lawmakers, and that has to be the focus of people who care about state politics and live in these districts. If there’s no competition from the Republicans, let’s have more competition between Democrats.

Of course you have to be judicious about deciding when to support a primary, and when to work with the person in the seat. I’m not advocating primary challenges to every mediocre Democrat, this cycle. There are only a few targeted primary fights worth having. I think Cohen is no longer an effective lawmaker, and does nutty stuff like authoring 15,000 word Wikipedia entries about himself listing all his Twitter followers. It’s just time for some new blood there.

I’m not totally sold on the O’Brien primary, but Sean Sullivan knows land use issues inside and out and is running as the smart growth candidate. That is my one of my top issues, and I want to reward politicians who take it up. The best possible scenario there though would be for O’Brien to respond to the competition by learning more about those issues, and stealing some of Sullivan’s ideas. If he did that, I’d back O’Brien. Unfortunately there’s not an organized constituency in Philly asking for those positions from our political candidates, but we’re trying to build that with the This Old City blog.

• Ed H. says:

Having those struggles is fine. Where Sims looks like a child is he’s openly making endorsements, then seperating himself from the rest of the Democratic caucus in the House. Political neophytes make endorsements like that. The rest of the caucus can, and likely will, make sure he is personna non grata to the rest of the caucus. How does he move an agenda forward when he’s unwelcome? And now Cohen, O’Brien, and other state reps might start recruiting candidates to take him on in primaries, diverting precious resources, time and money, that could be better spent fighting the bad guys on the other side instead of mole hunting the bad guys like Sims on the inside of the party. It’s potentially hurting the chances for knocking off Republicans instead of the infighting he’s stirring up. State Reps aren’t automatons. They’ll see this and remember how Sims is conducting himself. No one trusts the traitor. And reps working with him on committees, will either be wary of him because they might be next on his targeting list, or they might be close friends with those who have been targeted. It makes for an unfriendly atmosphere if you make rookie mistakes like Sims is.

If Sims fails to take out Cohen, then it could backfire. But if he succeeds, other reps are going to be wary of crossing him. I’m betting he takes out Mr. 15,000 Word Autobiography

6. tim brown says:

Looks like Rep. Cohen does not want to discuss his place in Mr Bumsteads book. Must have hit a nerve with high cost low production.

7. Babette Joseph says:

Philadelphia has lots of serious problems and now we have timebomb Rep. Sims who is the democratic Ted Cruz of the SEPA delegation to Harrisburg.

8. kelvin hannson says:

Rep sims does not care about the poor in his dist, he doesn’t come in that area at all, a one issue state rep.

9. John Lemmom says:

A one issue state rep are u serious he introduced merit selection for judges which PA really needs and is a prime sponsor on pay equity. He was a little LGBT top heavy at first but can you blame him, he needs to be. Look at the sad state of PAs lgbt rights.

• Kelvin hannaon says:

The people should pick the judges not the elected officials,he never comes to the Graysferry section of his District, hopefully some one will Challenge him for that seat.

In reality, voters don’t know anything about these judge candidates. They’re useless elections, devoid of any political issue content.

• Kh says:

I noticed you didn’t comment when I said rep sims don’t care about the poor section of his dist,I’ve been active in philly politics for 32yrs and I think the last thing we need is for politicians to pick our judges.

Two words: Traffic Court. The last thing we need are elections where voters don’t know any of the candidates and aren’t familiar with the policy issues.

10. I just want to address a few things, respectfully.

First, Rep Cohen’s insinuation that “young progressives” have some sort of neo-conservative agenda is absolutely misleading and disgusting. Rep Sims recently sponsored a pay equity bill that would make it EASIER for women to sue if they find out they’ve been victims of wage discrimination. And, as women hold the majority of minimum-wage jobs, I’d say that’s a step in the right direction of raising the minimum wage (which, I’m sure, Rep Sims would support). As far as judicial elections are concerned, yes, Rep Sims has introduced a merit-selection bill to ban statewide judicial elections (not local elections), showing he’s willing to stand up to the trial lawyers who’d rather install the most well-funded judges to the bench.

Rep Sims has stood up against the attacks of ALEC and the Koch Bros by vocally opposing HB1507. He’s also stood with working families and unions by opposing liquor privatization, much to the chagrin of Jon Geeting. He’s stood up for a woman’s right to choose (and in fact was just honored by NARAL for doing so). He cast a vote to increase

Being able to work with Republicans and Democrats in Harrisburg is valuable to the people of Philadelphia. Given that Republicans control both houses of the legislature and the governor’s mansion, we need someone who can find common ground to make inroads on issues important to the City and SEPA. People don’t want partisan politics, they want progress. Judging by the fact that I’ve mentioned at least 4 issues Rep Sims has worked on, I’d say he’s not a “one issue” rep.

Finally, Representative Josephs, your comment calling Representative Sims the “Ted Cruz of SEPA” is absolutely devoid of any context or connection to reality. It’s clear you hold a grudge after losing. Please stop.

The last thing I’d say is that endorsing someone in a primary is not treason, and those who think so cause young people to become disenchanted with the political process. Part of the job of being a legislator is being able to tell the story of what you did for your constituents. If you can, and your record proves you’re worthy, then you will win your election. These seats aren’t owned by the elected officials who occupy them, they’re owned by the citizens of that district.

11. phillydem says:

Interestingly, according to project votesmart, Sims gets a 21% rating from the American Conservative Union and Cohen a 0%, meaning Sims votes “correctly” more than 1 of every 5 votes for ACU positions and Cohen never votes for them. In fact Sims ACU rating is a mere 1 point better than Lisa Boscola who has often been criticized on this site as too conservative.

If your stated position is that Democrats should use primaries to get “more progressive”, I don’t see how voting for an ally of a conservative Dem gets that accomplished.

Further, for all the talk about Sims being effective, I noted no real legislative accomplishments cited in his wiki entry, even on LGBT issues.

Depends on what the ACU’s positions are. If things like merit selection for judges are scored as the “conservative” positions, then Sims gets a higher score but actually is more progressive than Cohen.

• phillydem says:

You can’t criticize Allyson Schwartz on one hand for being conservative and then brush it off as “depends” when the same applies to a different Dem.

If you want to be taken seriously as a political blogger, you have to do your homework and not just guess.

If you read ACU’s 2013 rankings, you’ll see that the only votes Cohen and Sims differed on were the 4 where Cohen opted not to vote, and one (alcohol reform) where Sims did. Every other vote is the same. ACU doesn’t hold skipped votes against members, weirdly, and that accounts for the difference. Cohen gets 0% because he opted not to vote either way on some of the votes they were scoring. If you want to hold the skipped alcohol reform vote against Sims, that’s your prerogative, but I simply reject the idea that reforming PA’s nutty alcohol market is a conservative position, as do half of Democratic voters. http://www.scribd.com/doc/176255027/Pennsylvania-State-Ratings-2013

• Colleen Kennedy says:

Please name one piece of legislation Marc Cohen has passed lately.

• phillydem says:

Check openstates.org and read the legislation for yourself or risk exposing yourself as just another uninformed groupie.

12. Two pieces of legislation that I have played a key in role in passing in the Fall of 2013 are (1) the $2.4 mass transit package, which includes almost $500 million for SEPTA, and (2) the bill allowing small games of chance in Pennsylvania taprooms, which should raise millions of needed dollars for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the City of Philadelphia, and local governments of Pennsylvania without raising anyone’s taxes.

Why didn’t you use the games of chance legislation as leverage to increase the number of R licenses? That was a key piece of leverage that’s gone now.

• I have not heard any complaints that there is a shortage of taverns in Pennsylvania, creating a need for more R licenses. If there is such a shortage, please provide a link or have relevant people contact my office. The fact is that the tavern industry was a leading advocate of this legislation, along with money-starved municipalities and state budget officers.

It can cost as much as $80-200K to open a simple bar or add a beer list to your restaurant menu in many of the state’s older core cities. This is absolutely killing our older downtowns, which “want” to be nightlife clusters but can’t get the critical mass of restaurants and bars because there aren’t enough licenses. It’s not just bars – restaurants need to be able to cross-subsidize their food menu with booze, just like movie theatres cross-subsidize ticket sales with expensive popcorn and soda. That’s how the restaurant industry works in states with a normal booze market. Every restaurant should be allowed to sell booze if they want.

The county quota system threatens to choke off Philadelphia’s restaurant boom. In DC liquor licenses go for around $9-11K (still too much) but here they go for around $85K. We’d have more restaurants opening in the city and the older downtowns in SEPA if anybody could get a liquor license for a flat $5000 fee.

13. Alfred Achtert Jr. says:

People often forget that a State Representative cannot pass legislation on his own. It requires convncing 101 other Representatives, 26 Senators, and the Governor that it is a good idea. How does a Representative do this? It happens by having the respect and support of his colleagues. Respect and support come about over time as the other members see that the representative can be supportive of their issues as well as supportive of them as individuals. (It also helps if the issue is one whose time has come.) A Representative does not win respect and support by coming in and working right away to eliminate other more senior respected leaders.

• Ed H. says:

According to the defense of Sims’ Little League mistakes, Jon Geeting forgets.

It’s not a mistake though. This is how party leadership works.

• Ed H. says:

Brian Sims isn’t party leadership and is the one who made the mistake of playing Little League in the Major League of politics. And party leadership doesn’t endorse challengers for state representative seats against their own sitting caucus members.

I’m not saying Brian Sims is in the Party Leadership, I’m saying that he is exhibiting small-l leadership in the party with these endorsements. Primaries are the most effective way to reform the party from within, by clearing out the old brush.

• Ed H. says:

Sims’ brand of “small l leadership” is not leadership at all. It’s the move of a political neophyte who’s setting himself up to be insulated from the rest of the D caucus, and will restrict his own impact in the State House as a member. It’s was the move of a dope who thinks he’s more important than the party. When Democrats resist working with him, how will that help him in the future? Think about your own statements (that I agree with) that the party needs a) more sitting members, and b) more unity, to be able to move Democratic values forward in the legislature, or to fend off attacks on our values from the right. Other House members are likely to shun him to some degree. If he wants to change the party, then a smart politician does it without being a dope, and then do it quietly, by pointing the challenger to donor lists or some other means of support. You don’t openly endorse against the guys you have to walk in the same halls as, and what’s more, don’t call yourself a progressive when you’re trying roust some of the most progressive members of your caucus. How about doing some work to increase his chances of his values becoming law by playing against Republicans in the near suburbs, and increasing the caucu?
            If that’s really Babette Josephs posting, please think about a comeback run, dear. We need to have good, smart people in office to be good, progressive Democrats like you, and not guys like Sims shooting us all in the back when fighting for his constituency. We could see some progressive and labor groups back your run against him.

LOL which progressive groups would back Babette against Sims? The conservative wing of the labor movement? Sims has a national donor base now and is raising tons of money. I know Brendan Boyle and Margo Davidson would like to try to occupy his time by running Babette against him so he doesn’t have time to campaign for Daylin or Billy Smith, which is probably what you’re alluding to here. It’s not gonna work. Sims would win easily. Babette is 73 years old..

• Ed H. says:

Lets see how that ACU rating of over 20% runs with real progressives. And I know you’re lying when you say the rest of the Philly caucus is seeing this Little Leaguer move as good. The rest of the caucus isn’t that dumb to think that they might not be next on Sims’ list of targets. Go head nd tell us which caucus members want to distance themselves from the Democratic Party, and have publicly made their own endorsements in support of Sims’ picks. There’s not a single Rep out therethat effing stupid. But your pettiness shows through again, Jon. Just like when you swore you knew how the Building Trades came to endorse Brendan Boyle for the 13th. You just haven’t been around long at all, and your naïveté is showing. Listen more and pontificate less, and you might be taken seriously one day, kid.

Not lying at all – several staffers have reached out to me via backchannel to assure me the haters are wrong and they’re glad Sims is doing this. Nobody’s distancing themselves from “the Democratic Party” – we’re changing who’s in the Party and who’s not, and reclaiming it from the old heads. That’s why you’re so pissed off about this. In all these comments I mainly just hear you saying “I don’t like that Brian Sims is threatening my tribe’s dominance in Philadelphia primary election politics.”

• Ed H. says:

If it was the case, I’d be hearing different. I’m not pissed that there are challenges. I’m not even really all that pissed that Sims is separating himself from the party, or being less than stellar on some of the issues Democrats hold dear. I’m just worried the backstabbing takes focus away from the Southeastern Caucus, and divides them to the point that Philadelphia loses out on money, policies and programs. I’d rather have someone work to improve the caucus, rather than break it down and create divisions. Your mileage may vary. If Sims wanted to help challengers, without being openly divisive, he’d have directed those candidates behind the scenes, instead of going Tea Party like Jim DeMint did. Because that’s the model Simss is using here. And he’s not even moving the party to be more progressive than it was in those seats. He’s got a lot to learn as a public official neorealism he becomes effective. And trashing those who you have to caucus with so openly isn’t going to make his political life a long one, usually.

Also, I’ve heard that the other Democrats in the Philadelphia caucus are very supportive of these endorsements.