MAP: How to Take Over Your Philadelphia Ward With Write-In Candidates

The city of Philadelphia is not very forthcoming with information about the ward system, and it’s actually surprisingly difficult to get a simple list of Democratic committeepeople in each division.

There are supposed to be two Democratic committeepeople in each division in each ward, and the committeepeople elect the ward leader. It’s hard for regular people to get information about this, to gauge their chances of winning one of these committeeperson races, but here is an interactive map I made that makes it very easy.

If you live in one of the green divisions, then either zero people, or one person filed petitions to get on the ballot. That means you can do a write-in campaign and win a slot pretty easily. Ideally you’d get 4 or 5 neighbors to write you in too just to clinch it, but seriously just writing in your own name will probably seal the deal.

This entry was posted in Philadelphia 2015.

13 Responses to MAP: How to Take Over Your Philadelphia Ward With Write-In Candidates

1. Ben F. says:

I believe you still need at least 10 write-ins to win since you need 10 signatures to get on the ballot.

2. Jon Geeting says:

I checked, it’s actually just the highest vote getter. So if that’s 2 votes, then you get it.

• I believe for Democrats in the City of Philadelphia, you need a minimum of Ten (10) votes, as you have to meet the same criteria as any candidates that filed Nomination Petitions

3. Megan says:

Would you mind quickly walking me through how you did this? I’d like to do it for Allegheny county. Thanks!

You need a shape file for Allegheny County divisions to upload to cartodb.com. Then you need an Excel sheet with the ward and divisions and you join them together. If you can get the shape file and the petitions filed per division I can help you out. Maybe Laura Meixell or the Open PGH folks will have that stuff?

4. Joey says:

What do the different shades of blue mean? More than 2 candidates on the ballot?

5. Tracey says: